Monday, March 30, 2009

A Case of the Yuck

Last week was rather eventful if you can call it that. Here are the events that caused me to have a few new gray hairs.

After loading the last blog post, Olivia started to run a 101 degree fever. She was a little fussy, but nothing major. I put her in the hospital sick daycare, "Sniffles-N-Such" Monday, but went to get her by lunch time because her fever was up to 102.5. I stayed home with her Tuesday, and by the afternoon her fever was up to 104.5. This is all while staying in contact with the pediatrician's office and keeping her on Motrin. They thought it was Roseola at first, which can cause high fevers and eventually a lace-like rash. I waited for the rash Tuesday evening. She went to bed as usual, and something told me to check on her before I went to bed at 11pm. She was on FIRE, and was laying in her crib whimpering. Her temperature was 105.5. I stripped her down to just a diaper, and put her in the bed with Neil under the ceiling fan while I called the on-call nurse and sponged her down with cool water washcloths. The only reason they allowed me to keep her home instead of rushing to the ER was because she remained completely coherent. She would respond yes or no with a head shake when I asked her questions, and would smile behind her passy when I made eye contact with her. After nearly two hours and a lot of praying, her fever started to drop and the Motrin was finally working. It dropped to a wonderful (ha) 103.

By Wednesday morning, her fever had "dropped" to 102.5 and we headed to the doctor. She had just finished a 10 day round of antibiotics for sinusitus and chest congestion, but apparently it just kept this bug at bay. She had finished them Sunday...the evening her fever began to spike. The doctor determined she had bronchitis and "mild" pneumonia. He immediately ordered a much stronger antibiotic shot plus another round of a stronger oral antibiotic. The nurse's response to that treatment was, "oh...he's worried." She assured me the shot was the right way to go because it would keep her out of the hospital, and that's where she was headed in another 24-48 hours the way things were going. So, both Olivia and I cried through the shot and went home for a nap. Slowly, but surely she has been on the mend. The fever was gone within 24 hours of the shot, and all she did Thursday and Friday was sleep. Thank goodness!

Today was her first day back on regular schedule with all her friends at "school." We were really excited too because the daycare earned their 5th star last week! Daycares are rated from 1-5 stars, and it isn't easy to get 5 stars. Go Presbyterian CDC! While Olivia missed all the celebrations, her teachers and friends sure seemed to have missed her this morning. We also had a good weekend celebrating Uncle Carl's birthday with Meema and Carl's new girlfriend, Katie. I have pictures of this and some silly ones from Sunday when Olivia was feeling much better that I will hopefully get posted soon.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I am so glad she is doing better- she had everyone worried! I know that it was stressful on your end. Can't wait to see more pics of Miss O!

The Browning's said...

Oh No! I'm so glad she's feeling better. The exact same thing happened with Ella when she was 2 1/2. It all happened so fast & I remember being terrified. So glad they didn't have to put Miss Olivia in the hospital. Love you guys!